season of shame dives to new depths, by Jacquelin
Magnay & Les Kennedy - 18th March 2004
The Sydney Morning Herald)
A mother's claims that four rugby
league players "competed" as they raped
her intellectually impaired 18-year-old daughter
has taken allegations of sexual assaults by footballers
to a new low.
woman said the attack had been horrific, leaving
her daughter suffering both physically and emotionally.
"She doesn't believe she has a future."
latest claim came as other high-profile footballers
caught up in police investigations across two
states attended training sessions yesterday.
AFL players Stephen Milne and Leigh Montagna,
who have vehemently denied allegations by two
women, appeared with their St Kilda teammates
in what their coach, Grant Thomas, called a show
Melbourne club had named the two players on Tuesday
after confirming that police were investigating.
A Current Affair last night the mother of the
mildly disabled teenager condemned the extreme
competitiveness of football's macho culture.
claimed her daughter was raped by four league
players competing in a Sevens competition in Longreach
in Queensland in February this year.
men were competing against each other . . . they
were actually competing against each other while
they were raping an innocent, gorgeous student,
who had just started college, just her second
week in college. It is hideous, there is no way
to describe what they have done to her, it is
just wrong, it has got to stop."
daughter had been with other students at a hotel
but at some point during the night she was separated
from her friends.
two o'clock she was raped by four football players,"
the mother said. "None of the young girls
out there are safe; there is a culture of power
with these footballers who think they can do whatever
they want in a pack mentality and they think they
can get away with it."
police spokeswoman confirmed that a sexual assault
complaint was made about February 22 and that
Longreach detectives were dealing with the matter.
Queensland Rugby League chief executive, Ross
Livermore, said: "If they are rugby league
players they have not been identified. A lot of
blokes get together, whether it be touch players
or even some of the union blokes, and make a team
to play in these carnivals, but if it is league
players we will look into it thoroughly."
NRL said the players were not affiliated with
any club and had entered their own team in the
Bulldogs, meanwhile, cancelled a board meeting
at Belmore Oval that was to deal with the casual
dress of players when they were interviewed by
police two weeks ago about an alleged sexual assault
by six players.
spokesman, Bradley Clyde, said the Bulldogs were
awaiting further information from the investigation
and that the board would meet later this week.
sources have indicated that there may be a development
in the case later today, but it is also expected
that some Bulldogs players will be required for
comes as the Victorian police are continuing their
investigation into an alleged incident on February
7 involving a woman in a South Yarra unit by two
players from another NRL team, the Melbourne Storm.
in the clear over rape allegations - 7th May 2004
evidence existed: police - 28th April 2004